4 large leeks
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
½ tbsp sunflower oil
1 ½ pints/850 mls hot vegetable stock
10fl oz/275 ml semi skimmed milk
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
To serve – 1½ tbsp snipped fresh chives or parsley
1. Begin by trimming the leeks, discarding the tough outer layer, now split them in half lengthways and slice them finely. Wash thoroughly in 2 or 3 changes of clean water and drain well.
2. Heat the oil in large saucepan, then add the onion, leeks and potato, stir them around, season with salt and pepper then cover and allow to sweat over a very low heat for about 15 minutes.
3. Pour in the milk and stock, cover and simmer gently for a further 20 minutes.
4. Allow to cool slightly and then blend to a puree.
5. Return to the pan, reheat and stir in the snipped chives or chopped parsley.
6. Serve with a toasted wholemeal pitta or warm wholemeal bread.
Back to top